Hello Kenya

September 4, 2018

We arrived in Nairobi around 7am bright and early. The flight from Johannesburg was a quick comfortable four or so hours with Kenya Airways.


We were greeted by our driver/guide and once we got rid of our luggage we stopped at a local Java Café for some breakfast before commencing with our long drive to Lake Nakuru. I cannot express just how long the drive was!


The drive was meant to take three hours, but ended up taking just over five due to a truck accident. We made a pit stop along the road where there were a few curio shops and the most amazingly breathtaking view of the Great Rift Valley. Sadly I didn’t have my camera or my phone with me as I was distracted by the street food (nothing fancy, just corn on the cob cooked over an open fire), but my husband managed to get this stunning picture








We reached Lake Nakuru Lodge just in time to grab a very quick included lunch before heading to our rooms to freshen up before our afternoon game drive(safari). When we got to our rooms, we were delighted with the set up. My only complaint… we were allocated the a room really far from reception (literally on the outskirts of the lodge).


We were told to make double sure that doors are locked as the baboons have learnt how to open the doors and raid the rooms. No surprise with what followed… we opened the curtains only to find a special greeting by a baboon sitting on our patio looking straight at us.


So much excitement for our first day in Kenya and it was just about to get better with an afternoon safari in search of the masses of resident flamingos at Lake Nakuru.

I sat in desperation waiting to see the pink residents, only to hear that they had moved to a different area due to the lack of rainfall. Tisk tisk… there where a few though which is good enough! One cannot have everything one desires. Nonetheless, we had a pleasant afternoon before heading back to our lodge for dinner and a well-deserved rest.



We settled in under our mosquito net and fast passed out after a long long day.

We didn’t take dozens of photos of us, but here is a picture of my husband and I :) I figure its always good to put a face to the writer and this picture sums us up.... ready to hit the road, big smiles and lots of love.




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Three months into 2018

April 2, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts

September 4, 2018

August 16, 2018

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square